In case you didn't already know, where possible you should always play European roulette instead of the American version of the game.
- European roulette is offered in almost every online casino.
- With just one zero, European roulette is preferred to American Roulette as you’ve got better odds of winning.
- Inside bets offer high payouts, but a slim chance of winning
- Outside bets offer a higher likelihood of winning but lower payouts
The simple reason that European roulette is much more preferable than American roulette is that the wheel only has one zero. This impacts your chances of winning much more than you might think. It means that the games house edge is a friendly 2.7% instead of 5.25%.
European Roulette Bets
All of the numbers on a European roulette table are arranged in 12 rows and three columns with the number zero placed at the top of the number field. Every bet that's placed in this space or on the lines between numbers is called an 'inside bet'.
|Two numbers (split)||17-1|
|Three numbers (street)||11-1|
|Four numbers (corner)||8-1|
|First 12, second 12 or third 12||2-1|
|1-18 or 19-36||1-1|
|Red or black||1-1|
|Even or odd||1-1|
European Roulette Inside Bets
An inside bet is a type of Roulette bet made up of a specific number bet or a combination of different numbers within the number layout on the table. The following bets are all classed as inside bets.
- Zero bet – essentially the same as a single number bet except that it's placed on 0.
- Straight-up bet (single number bet) – pretty self explanatory – the single number bet is placed on just one number.
- Split bet (two numbers) – Split bets are placed on the line between two different numbers.
- Street bet (three numbers) – Street bets are placed at the end of a row of numbers and allow you to bet on all three numbers in that row.
- Corner bet (four numbers) – This bet is made by clicking on a corner that is attached to four different numbers.
- Line bet (six numbers) – Placed by clicking on the corner in-between two rows and bets on all six numbers on those two rows.
European Roulette Outside Bets
Outside bets in European roulette are placed outside of the 37 numbers of the European roulette table layout and refer to specific sections and colours. They have lower payouts than inside bets but with also provide you with a better chance of winning.
Many online European roulette players tend to predominantly place outside bets and just place one or two speculative inside bets. Below is a list of outside bets that are available in European roulette.
- Red or Black
- Even money bet on whether the number will be red or black.
- Odd or Even
- Betting whether the winning number will be odd or even.
- High or Low
- Betting on whether the winning number is 1-18 (low) or 19-36 (high).
- Column bets are placed at the bottom of the column and bet on the twelve numbers in the respective column.
- Allows you to place a bet on any one of three separate dozens. These range 1-12, 13-24 and 25-36.